1/4/12

Simply Citrus Spinach Dip

I originally tried this dish at the ladies' luncheon at the Salado Methodist Church during the Annual Fashion Show (hosted by the Garden Guild).
If you have yet to attend, remedy that next year! We have Fun shopping after too!

The recipe called the dish "Spinach Congealed Salad" and I thought that sounded completely horrific. If I had known what it was called beforehand, I never would have tried it!  haha
Maybe that should teach me a lesson? I'll think about that tomorrow ;-)

Well, if you know me at all, you know I have to make my own adjustments to recipes.
So I renamed it --to make myself feel better & so as not to scare away potential eaters.
"Simply Citrus Spinach Dip" sounds a LOT better than "Spinach Congealed Salad" LOL
And I changed a few things in the recipe.
Anyway, here is my recipe:

Simply Citrus Spinach Dip
1-3 oz box of lemon jell-o
1 c. boiling water
1- 10 oz pkg frozen, chopped spinach
1 c. small curd cottage cheese
1 c. minced celery
1 c. minced onion
1 1/4 c mayonnaise, separated

3/4 c. sour cream

Mix Jell-O and boiling water & Set aside.
Cook spinach briefly & remove liquid.
Add cottage cheese, celery, onion, 1/2 c. mayonnaise and spinach to the Jell-O mixture.
Pour into a 9 in pan; refrigerate until set (at least 2 hours)
Mix together 3/4C Mayo & 3/4 C Sour Cream & 1tsp Sugar.
Add mixture to Spinach dip & serve with crostinis or crackers.

(I prefer Wheat Thins)

**You can make this dish even better for you by using sugar-free jello & choosing lower-fat ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment